Nursing Section Events
2017 OPHA Nursing Section Spring Conference
Public Health Nursing in Healthcare Reform: Leading Practice, Research and Education Innovations
Oregon Public Health Association Nursing Section’s Annual Conference will bring together nurses from across the Pacific Northwest to motivate, connect and educate each other.
Date: Monday, May 15, 2017
Time: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Location: Bauccio Commons Dining Hall
University of Portland
5000 N. Willamette Blvd.
Portland, Oregon 97203
Click here to find accommodations while visiting Portland.
8:00-8:15 Welcome & Continental Breakfast
8:15-9:45 Panel on Public Health Nursing Practice:
Opportunities and Emerging Challenges in the Current Landscape: Perspectives of Public Health Directors
- Charlie Fautin, MPH, RN; Benton County, Oregon
- Patty Hayes, MN, RN; King County, Washington
10:00-12:00 Round Tables on Public Health Nursing (PHN) Practice, Education, and Research (2 rotations):
Public Health Nursing Practice Innovations
- Quick Tips for Creating a Trauma Informed Care Environment – A Café Approach
- The State of Oregon’s Public Health Nursing Workforce
- CCO Program for Perinatal Home Visits
Public Health Nursing Education Innovations
- Leading a Population Health-focused Nursing Curriculum Transformation within the Context of Healthcare Reform.
- Developing an Interdisciplinary Integrative and Population Health Promotion Degree Program: Possibilities for Nursing Education.
- Understanding the Options for Advancing Your Public Health Career: MN, MPH, DNP
Public Health Nursing Research Innovations
- Women’s Health in Sub-Saharan Africa
- The Impact of the Policy Brief on Public Health Nursing
- Prenatal and postpartum disparity: public health research in Oregon
11:30-1:00 Lunch and OPHA Public Health Nursing Award Ceremony
1:00-2:00 Panel on Public Health Nursing Education:
Education Innovations at the Baccalaureate: Perspectives of Associate Deans
- BSN Curriculum Revision: Leading the transformation of UP’s BSN program to address emerging roles in population health nursing. Casey Shillam, PhD, RN-BC; University of Portland SON
- Interprofessional Care Access Network (I-CAN): Scaling health professions education in population health statewide. Peggy Wros, PhD, RN; Oregon Health & Science University SON
2:15-3:15 Panel on Public Health Nursing Research:
Innovations in Environmental Justice and Physical Activity: Researcher Perspectives
- Nursing and Environmental justice: Re-envisioning engagement and action for 21st century practice. Robin Evans-Agnew, PhD, RN; University of Washington SON, Tacoma, WA
- Physical Activity as avenue to addressing health disparities. Cynthia Perry, PhD, FNP-B.C.; Oregon Health & Science University SON
3:15-4:00 PHN Networking, Conference Reflection, and Closure.
Download Conference Agenda
- OPHA Member: $55
- Non-member: $60
- OPHA Member: $30
- Non-member: $35
*Please note, the low-income registration rate is only available to individuals earning less than $20,000/year.
***Early bird registration closes May 8th; general admission rates increase by $10 beginning May 9th. No refunds after May 8th.
Continuing Education: 4.5 Continuing Nursing Education (CNE) Contact Hours Available
To receive the CNE credit, you must be registered, attend, and complete the course evaluation on the day of the course or return to firstname.lastname@example.org within 6 days after the course is completed. Paper copies of the evaluation will be made available at the conference.
Questions? Contact: Kala Mayer | email@example.com
Conference Vendors: Vendor tables will be available at the conference, but space is limited. To request a table, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests will be approved on a first come first served basis. Everyone attending will need to register for the conference, and vendors will be asked to make a donation to the OPHA Nursing Section.
PAST EVENT HIGHLIGHTS
2016 Public Health Nursing Leadership Luncheon
In honor of Nurse Appreciation Week, the OPHA Nursing Section hosted their annual Public Health Nursing Leadership Luncheon on May 9th. Attendees celebrated public health nursing and Florence Nightingale’s birthday. Sherry Archer M.S.N., OHSU School of Nursing faculty, shared information and updates about a unique collaborative venture between OHSU students and the Gresham Fire Department.
2015 Nursing and the Public's Health Conference
2014 Annual Nursing Leadership Celebration
OPHA Nursing Section hosted the play:
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Well-being: The Story of Lillian Wald
***View a picture summary of the event HERE.
Congratulations to the 2014 Public Health Nurse Leadership Award Winner,
2013 Nursing and the Public's Health Summit
- View highlights of the 2013 PH Nursing Summit HERE.
OPHA Exhibit at the Back to School Conference
Anna Stiefvater and Dianna Pickett set up the OPHA Nursing Section exhibit at the conference and spoke with school nurses about public health nursing and school nursing connections. A few of the school nurses who stopped by the exhibit found themselves in the displayed pictures doing public health activities.
Click here to submit an event to the OPHA Nursing page.
Visit the OPHA Events Calendar to see what else is happening in public health around Oregon.